Let me guess, you are all excited about using this barcode scanner and what it will do for your business and you opened Finale Data Collector, clicked on PICK, then BASIC, or WAVE, or PICK and PACK, or Order batches, and then scanned a barcode on your packing slip or document and the scanner will not find the order! What is wrong?
Just because the scanner says "Order id not found" does not mean Finale Inventory does not have the order or know of the order, it simply means the mobile scanner does not have the order downloaded to its memory for you to perform any operation on.
Let's cover the basics of what conditions must be met before an order will be found on the scanner.
These conditions are not related to where the order came from. It does not matter if you are using Shipstation or ShippingEasy or any other software to print packing slips or get your shipping labels.
The mobile scanner does not have all orders downloaded to it. It will only download sales orders and purchase orders that meet a specific list of criteria that the scanner deems worthy of you Picking or Receiving them.
What are those worthy conditions?
- The status of the order in Finale Inventory must be "Committed"
- The order must have an Origin if it is a Sales Order or a Destination if it is a Purchase order
- The order must not already be fully packed or fully shipped if it is a Sales order and it must not already be fully received if it is a Purchase order.
- The order must have at least one line item on it with a valid product id and order quantity greater than 1
- The order must not be incomplete, meaning all the line items have valid product ids and order quantities.
- The order's Origin or Destination is not being excluded from the scanner by the User mobile scanner exclusion rules settings in Application settings, Users, Mobile scanner configuration page.
- The order's Fulfilment status is not being excluded from the scanner by the User mobile scanner exclusion rules settings in Application settings, Users, Mobile scanner configuration page.
Following are more details on how to resolve many of these common issues.
1. Have you synced or updated the scanner?
The Finale Data Collector software is an "On Demand" type of software. It is not real-time.
You must Sync the scanner to update it. You can sync over WiFI, which is the preferred and most flexible method of connecting to your Finale Inventory account, or you may dock the scanner with the USB dock/cradle and sync over the USB cable with a Windows PC.
Make sure you have synced so that the scanner contains the Orders that are in the system.
2. The Barcode that you scan must be the ORDER NUMBER or the Shipstation order id alias. Many times people see a barcode on the packing slip from Shipstation and assume that it is the order id when it is not. The default packing slip templates in Shipstation have a [Barcode] value in the template. This is the Shipstation order identifier and it is not the same as the original Order Id from your marketplace or the Order ID in Finale Inventory. if you are using version Version 12176, 2021_04_19 of the Finale Inventory or higher, this barcode is great to use. If your scanner is an older version of our app, it cannot understand this barcode value and will give you an Order ID not found message. Upgrade your scanner to the latest version of our software and try again.
How do I know what version my scanner is running?
How to update the Finale Inventory app on your mobile scanner
If you are not using Shipstation or you are still not sure about the barcode you are scanning for Picking is valid, continue using the steps below to troubleshoot the issue.
Use the 17. Test barcode feature on the scanner!
Scan the barcode from the packing slip or document that you think is the Order id barcode.
The scanner will say: Barcode value is: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
The XXXXXXXXXXXX is the content of the barcode. It must match a valid order id in Finale Inventory.
Remember, just because the scanner says no match, it could just mean you did not sync the scanner and download the latest order, or that order id is not in Finale at all.
The default barcode on a Shipstation Packing Slip is the Shipstation "Scan to View" barcode. That is not the Order ID/#. The scan to view barcode is a special order barcode that Shipstation understands.
We have updated Finale Inventory to use that barcode value as an alias to the FInale Inventory order id. You must be using Version 12176, 2021_04_19 of the Finale Inventory app or higher for it to work.
You may need to edit/customize the packing slip barcode you are using to contain the actual ORDER #.
Here are directions on accomplishing this:
Notice that the content of the barcode is [Order #] and not [Barcode].
Try using this:
<barcode size="medium" barcodetype="Code128A">[Order #]</barcode>
3. The Order # you are scanning must be in Committed status in Finale Inventory.
The barcode scanner will only sync orders that are in Committed status and that have not been completely packed or shipped.
4. The Order# you are scanning has not been marked SHIPPED already in Finale Inventory.
The barcode scanner will not store Orders that have already been shipped. There would be no need to Pick and pack them. If the order has already been picked, packed and shipped it will not show up in the scanner. There is a special configuration setting on your Shipstation Connection in Finale inventory that you must set up so that Finale Inventory controls when an order is marked "Shipped" in Finale Inventory by you using the Scanner to Pick and Pack the order.
IF you are using Shipstation, there is a special configuration setting on your Shipstation Connection in Finale inventory that you must set up so that Finale Inventory controls when an order is marked "Shipped" in Finale Inventory by you using the Scanner to Pick and Pack the order. If you do not set this setting correctly, by default the Shipstation connection runs every five minutes and receives the notices from Shipstation that you printed a shipping label in Shipstation for the order and it should, therefore, be marked Shipped in Finale.
See here for configuring the setting correctly:
SEE B. OPTION 2 in the How to configure your pull sales task
5. Your Sales Order in Finale Inventory is missing an ORIGIN.
Every Order ID should be associated with Finale Inventory Location(warehouse). This does not mean that it must or has to be fulfilled from that warehouse, but it must have a value for Origin. IF the Origin value is not set, the items on the order will not reserve any quantity and because Finale Inventory uses the Origin to know where to reserve the stock levels at. If you have committed sales orders importing from your marketplace, Shipstation, or ShippingEasy, you need to make sure the integration settings are configured to assign a value for Origin.
IF you are using Shipstation or ShippingEasy, Check your settings for the origin in the Integration, Pull sales to finale, Action menu, Edit task configuration settings.
SEE B. OPTION 2 in the How to configure your pull sales task for Shipstation
If you are pulling directly from a marketplace, Check your settings for Origin n the Integration, Pull sales to finale, Action menu, Edit task configuration settings.
IF you have imported a bunch of orders without setting the ORIGIN, fix the Pull Sales To Finale settings on the integration and use the Reprocess orders loaded in last 7 days feature on the action menu AFTER you have fixed the setting to set the origin.
Note this will only work if the orders are still in Committed Status.
6. No items on the order
In order for a sales order to be synced to the scanner, it should have items on the order. An empty order will not be sent to the scanner. Make sure you have actual product ids with an order quantity on the order
7. Unmapped items
If you have items on the order that are not mapped to product ids in Finale Inventory then you do not really have items to pick on the order. Finale Inventory does not know what the SKUs from the imported order should be associated with and therefore does not know what inventory items to reserve, pick, pack, or ship. Make sure you have mapped the incoming marketplace SKUs with a Product Lookup.
8. Duplicate order id was imported and Finale appended an A to the end of it
The barcode on the Packing Slip printed from Shipstation has the original marketplace Order Id. If this order number already existing in Finale Inventory from another marketplace or selling channel or was a manual order in Finale Inventory, or was previously imported from the marketplace directly into Finale Inventory from the marketplace directly, not going through Shipstation, it creates a duplicate order number scenario and Finale will not allow this. A letter will be appended to the order id in Finale Inventory to prevent two order numbers from being the exact same. So for example, an order number of 1000 in Shipstation may become order number 1000A in Finale Inventory. So that is why the scanner says order number not found. To resolve this you need to search for the order number with the letter on the end or type it in, or you can send the Finale Inventory Order id to Shipstation and store it in a custom field and have the packing slip print a barcode of it. Here is an article on how to do that: How to send Finale's Order ID into shipstation to include on packing slips as a barcode for use with the mobile scanner
Article is closed for comments.