This STEP is OPTIONAL, however, it must be completed prior to Import & Create your Product IDs or product updating.
Finale allows for a user to create any field that is not already in Finale. This can be custom barcode values, size, color, etc. Custom fields can be added to reports, print documents, and if using a pick list, can also be used to help filter your product view screens.
For new account configurations, once you have setup your Facility, and before you import your Products IDs, you should create and add any Custom Fields that you may need for your Products.
To add custom fields, navigate to your Application Settings, and then to the Product tab. Once here, scroll mid way down the screen until you reach the section named Custom Fields.
- This is the name of the field
- This is where you choose the Custom Field Type (Text, Pick List, Date)
- To add new fields, just start typing in the next blank row. Finale will automatically add additional lines as needed
Custom Field Type:
Finale allows 3 different field types.
- Text: This is an open field that allows ANY value. Could be used for any attributes or as a barcode field
- Pick List: This is a drop down-type of menu field. The values must be input BEFORE you upload your data into the products. Any value that you try to upload that is NOT defined first will be ignored by Finale
- Date: This is a standard mm/dd/yyyy formatted field. If you are using a date, we strongly recommend formatting it as a date field instead of a text field, that way if we attempt to run a report in the future pulling from this data, it will all be formatted correctly and filterable.
- Pricing fields for selling your products are located in a different area, and are generally not entered into a custom field. To set up pricing, use Pricing Fields
- Custom fields can created for displaying on the screen in different widths. 2x and 4x just means twice as wide or 4 times as wide as a standard field box.
- Using a Pick List type of field allows you total control over the values entered into that custom field. If the value is not previously entered in the “list”, it will not be allowed as a value (and therefore not imported). You must populate the list values before you can import any of the values into that field.
- When entering values for a Pick List, the values must be entered one per line. Only one value can be selected for a product.
- Pick List custom fields can also be added to the View stock/Product screens as usable drop down filters to help narrow your inventory view (similar to Category and Manufacturer).
Useful Custom Field Suggestions
- Sub-Categories and Sub-Sub Categories
- Parent Product associations
- Supplier (useful for view screen filtering)
- Product Use
- Product Type
- Product Attributes
- Product dimensions
- Legacy SKU
- Custom barcode value
Tutorial video on how to add custom fields to Products, Orders and more: